Assistant Professor European Politics and Society (1.0 fte) (216350)
Publicado el 5 de diciembre de 2016 a las 08h. y 46m. en General
European Languages and Cultures European Languages and Cultures (ELC) is a multidisciplinary and intercultural European Studies degree programme—wide-ranging, dynamic, and unique in the Netherlands. The degree programme combines learning a modern Western language at a high level with academic training comprising the study and application of the most important theories and methodologies in literary and cultural studies, linguistics, and political and social sciences. These disciplines form the foundation of the degree programme's three socially oriented profiles: Literature and Culture, Language and Society, and Politics and Society. Each of these three profiles is connected to a separate chair group.
The Politics and Society profile concentrates on European politics and political cultures and the ways they function in their societal context. The profile provides theoretical and methodological skills as well as specialized modules engendering critical thinking and research skills on issues of politics and society, in addition to interdisciplinary electives such as “Eurolab” on pressing European issues.
The ELC degree programme is looking for an enthusiastic, assistant professor (UD: universitair docent) for a tenured position in European politics and society, who will contribute significantly to the bachelor's degree programme and especially the Politics and Society profile. The position will comprise a combination of teaching (60%) and research (40%) in the field of European politics and society, broadly understood. Due to the multidisciplinary nature of the ELC degree programme, the assistant professor must be able to place European politics and society into a wider cultural, historical and socio political context. While the assistant professor will be appointed by the ELC department, close ties will be maintained with the degree programmes in International Relations and International Organization, which has an excellent reputation within the Netherlands and abroad. In addition to teaching within the ELC degree programme, the assistant professor will also be involved in teaching in master's degree programmes. Research by the assistant professor will be conducted under the auspices of the Groningen Research Institute for the Study of Culture (ICOG) and its Centre for International Relations.
- providing teaching in the field of European politics and society within the bachelor's degree programme in ELC and in respective master's degree programmes
- supervising bachelor's and master's theses in the aforementioned field
- making an active contribution to the evaluation and development of the degree programme and its individual course units
- conducting academic research in the field of European politics and society
- performing administrative and organizational duties.
In addition to a number of basic requirements set by the University of Groningen, such as excellent social and communication skills, presentation skills, coaching skills and a results-oriented attitude, we are looking for a candidate with a PhD in the field of political science or sociology, who has an adequate command of Dutch or who is willing to learn Dutch within two years and in the area of teaching:
- has experience with teaching university-level political science or sociology (and openness to develop this in a European Studies-related teaching environment)
- has a sufficiently proficient command of English (C1/C2) to be able to teach in English in the European Languages and Cultures degree programme
- has gained the University Teaching Qualification or is prepared to do so within a year
- is an excellent teacher, as demonstrated by positive teaching evaluations
- is demonstrably able to make concrete contributions to the development of course units, partly by actively linking teaching to research
- being prepared to learn Dutch within a period of two years.
In the area of research:
- has an active research agenda as demonstrated by publications in the area of expertise mentioned
- has international experience and an international network.
In the area of management and organization:
- is able to make a constructive contribution to multi- and interdisciplinary collaboration and a friendly, collegial atmosphere within the department
- has demonstrable administrative and organization skills.
Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen is offering a salary based on qualifications and experience of between € 3,427 (scale 11 Dutch Universities) and € 5,330 (scale 12) gross per month for a fulltime position. Date of appointment: as soon as possible. This is a tenured position; the decision on tenure will be taken on the basis of a formal assessment after two years (on teaching and research) and on the demand of personnel at that moment.
The procedure may include a lecture or presentation.
How to apply
Please send an application letter including a motivation, curriculum vitae and list of publications until 15 January / before 16 January 2017 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. L.P. Rensmann, Chair of the Appointment Advisory Committee, +31 50 3635879, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drs W.K.H. Slik, Departmental co-ordinator (for questions about the procedure), + 31 50 3636013, email@example.com
(please do not use for applications)