Área V. Gestión pública y políticas públicas
Coordina/n: Miquel Salvador Serna (Universitat Pompeu Fabra)
GT 5.1 The study of policy change in European political systems: searching for domestic and national policy impacts within the European integration process
- Esteban Arribas Reyes (Universidad de Alcalá)
- Rut Bermejo Casado (Universidad Rey Juan Carlos)
Continuity or stability, as well as incremental change are features of most public policies. However, the 1980s and 1990s witnessed much policy change and instability in most Western European states. In particular, some governments adopted a more impositive kind of policy style, and interest groups have learned to exploit opportunities given by a policy process which is increasingly characterized by multiple opportunity structures. This workshop tackles the question of how policy change, (sometimes radical while other times incremental, slow or marginal), could be explained within the European integration process. The main challenge is to explain national public policy change in Europe. There are several theories and conceptual frameworks searching to explain why at moments of the policy-making process, change occurs. This workshop would undertake the likely causes of change in domestic or national public policy. The analysis includes the study of probable change determinants on an initial policy-making phase: ideas, values and interests, problem definition, traditions and, possibly, Europe. The policy change 'story' is not complete when one analyses and explains comparative policy dynamics in a European environment and does not consider the European dimension. Because of that, it is necessary to contribute with the Europeanization of public policy approach in order to get a solid explanation and complete the policy change picture.
- Sesión 1
Día: lunes,13 de julio de 2015
Hora: 15:00 a 17:30
Lugar: Aula 13
- Changes on European Road Safety Policy: from the paradigm shift to the widespread of the national policy impacts
- Establishing causality in the analysis of policy change
- Politics of blame and implementation failures in national parliamentary debates: discussing change and continuity in the Italian parliament (2001-2014).
- Reinforcing Change? The EU and the emergence of Podemos and M5S
- What does europeanization mean in the area of justice and home affairs?